Saturday, May 17, 2008

bzz.



I was once told that bumblebees can't fly.

When hearing this, I naturally thought my informant was full of.. well, something not quite comparable to honey because that statement is obviously not true. I've seen them fly! We all have.

Well it turns out that the claim was scientifically valid at the time.

Aerodynamically speaking, the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly. According to the
lift equation (which apparently substantiates flight according to velocity, air density, wing space, and blah, blah, blah) this relatively "fat" insect, weighing a little less than a gram, shouldn't be able to lift itself off the ground using the relatively itty-bitty wings it's been endowed with.

But the thing is, the bumblebee doesn't know all of this. So it goes on flying anyway.

As it stands, there are a number of tasks, ideas, initiatives that I feel like I want to carry out, and yet there seem to be a corresponding number of sizeable factors that stand in the way. These 'factors' aren't necessarily related to the laws of aerodynamics, as in the case of the bumblebee (although I'd love to fly), but more so limitations based on current circumstance.

(Er, my mind?)

A very, very basic example: I honestly believe that it is, in accordance with the laws of the universe, impossible for me to get into bed by 9 p.m. Five days of the week, I try to schedule my plans so that I can be in my pj's, teeth brush, faced washed, prayers said, ready to watch the little hand strike 9, and on every single one of those days, without fail, I end up lifelessly crawling under my sheets when the little hand of the clock has just made its way a few centimeters to the right of the 12. Nights like this, I can't help feel as though the clock is sticking it's tounge out at me.

Now obviously, dramatic effect aside, the laws of the universe have no bearing on my inability to establish my desired nocturnal schedule. It's more like the laws of the television, and the laws of the telephone, and the laws that allow for mindless browsing of the internet, and the laws of being a crazy person (possessed by what some like to call 'OCD') that make one compelled to spring clean a room at 10 o'clock at night, and, and, and.

Anyway, my point is, I want to be more like the bumblebee and defy the variables that stand against the things I really wanna do.


Speaking of the impossible, I was finally able to conduct a children's class without having to stop every 5 minutes to tell the kids to quit making faces at each other and spending the other half of the class trying to get them out from underneath the table.





Well, almost.


By the way, it's a good thing the bumblebees didn't listen to the scientists and engineers. It turns out they were wrong anyway.

No comments: