Monday, May 19, 2008

i learned a new word today.



As I was waiting for my Swedish Berry ice tea (easy on the ice, please) to appear on the wooden platform of Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, I couldn't help but notice a broad-shouldered gentleman with beautiful long dreads, holding the hand of an even-more-beautiful little girl, eagerly biting into a peanut butter cookie approximately the size of her head.

Immediately, my eyes were drawn to the man's wrist, just north of the intertwined hands. On his wrist in dignified, bold letters it read:


u b u n t u


I couldn't help myself. I had to ask what it meant.

(i hope you're ready for this, because i certainly wasn't)

Ubuntu, in Zulu, translates to "I am because you are." After a serendipitous conversation with the man and his 3'5 cookie enthusiast, I came to realize what a beautiful word I had the pleasure of stumbling upon. It turns out that ubuntu is a very expansive concept - about humanity and humility. Ubuntu is a way of thinking, a way of relating, and a way of being.

Later in the evening, I shared my newly discovered word with a dear elderly Persian friend-of-the-family over dinner; she managed to put the icing on my ubuntu cake by so sweetly stating, "I want to ubuntu."

6 comments:

montague said...

i love ubuntu. it's beautiful. i want it too.

Shido said...

ubuntu is also an operating system!
it is free to download.
its windows for free..
i love the word.
you are right roza!
viva las vegas!

roza said...

Ha! I know. When I got home to Google it, all that appeared were links about this operating system business. For a second, I thought the man had made it all up.

And yes, viva Las Vegas! But, lucky me, I'm in San Diego now. Get with the program ;)

alexandra said...

wow. ubuntu is a word to live by!
i can't wait to read more or your blogs

Ubuntu,
Alex

Rebecca Allen said...

roza, this reminded me of when I lived in South Africa - where I first learned about ubuntu. Share your awe of it and the peoples way of seeing it...

nice to know you added my blog, will try to get better at updating it - so random at the moment. even nicer to access your blog and be inspired by you sweetie! mwaaah! looks like i am in oregon from midjuly until mid august....will email you dates once i have ticket

Ashkan said...

wow...that's incredible.
There was some german philosopher who shared the same concept!
It's incredible how the human spirit beyond cultural differences is inspired at the same way!
thx for sharing and adding my blog (now im obliged to be more serious with it :-/ hehe)